Review: City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1) by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Okay so it's entirely that this is a result of seeing the movie before the book but I'm afraid I didn't like all the characters. (Don't kill me!) Because of seeing the movie first, I had faces and scenes stuck in my head that clashed with the book's imagery.

The characters I did like in the book were Jace, Alec, Simon, Luke and Magnus. I personally loved Jace's dialogue! He is so witty and really stood out as a character.

“Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked.”
Also I liked Simon right from the beginning. I love how geeky he is and there is this stuff he says at the very beginning where he pretends to like spending time at the club, Pandemonium and some more stuff he says to get Clary's attention that totally cracked me up. He's just an incredibly sweet guy and a great friend.

I loved both Alec and Magnus and I'm told I get to see more of them in the coming books and I really am excited about that. Also I hope we have more of Luke too! He is quite the interesting character with a great character arc.

Alright now we can't ignore the actual main character, Clary Fray. I don't hate her but i'm not really a fan either. She was just there, taking the story forward but I never really connected with her. I didn't really care about her so much and never worried about her safety or anything. I'm sorry but she felt more like a secondary character to me.

The plot was actually kind of complex. My mistake since I was expecting a lighter read! There are many stories and happenings mentioned throughout the story and I had a bit of a hard time keeping up with it all. But truthfully speaking, the plot is pretty brilliant with quite the unexpected twist (Which I knew already because I saw the damn movie! But reading it was pretty awesome.)

BUT, the twist brings us to something else. Don't worry, no spoilers! I'm just gonna say, after the big reveal I expected a lot of awkwardness for the characters involved but there wasn't much. I mean the awkwardness is 'told' but never 'shown'. I mean at the end, the characters involved are flying off into the sky; quite literally. I was expecting a lot more uncomfortable talk or weirdness but that was totally skipped and I found that very weird.
“It means 'Shadowhunters: Looking Better in Black Than the Widows of our Enemies Since 1234'.”
The writing was the best part about the book for me. I absolutely loved the dialogue and Clare writes in such a way that all the character stand out and there's now way readers will mistake one for the other. The book is really quotable with all there epic one-liners and dialogues.
- Some characters (Jace, Alec, Simon, Luke and Magnus)
- The plot
- The writing

- Some characters (Clary, Isabelle)
- The somewhat unrealistic reaction of the characters at the big reveal (I feel so.)
- There was way too much going on??
It's quite a decent start to an urban fantasy series that I hope gets better with the next books. While there were some aspects of the book I didn't enjoy as much as I wanted to, I'll be reading the rest of the series!

Actual Rating - 3.5



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment