If you know me, you probably know that I have ABSOLUTELY NO CHILL when it comes to Harry Potter. I love this series to The Andromeda Galaxy and back (Yes, I'm a big time geek) Back when I first read the books, I had no one to discuss them with and I also didn't know about Goodreads. So in 2017, I've decided to reread the series and discuss them with you guys! ❤ Also I felt a Harry Potter appreciation post was in order so here we are! Of course this is just part 1 because because MY FEELINGS FOR HARRY POTTER CANNOT BE EXPLAINED IN A SINGLE POST!
***I was 6 years old when I saw the first movie; 8 when I read the first book, 11 when I read the final book and 15 when I saw the final movie. I'm 20 now and I still fan-girl and flail every time someone mentions Harry Potter within my hearing distance and I know I'll continue doing the same till I die. For me this series is utter perfection; the plot, the characters, the writing, THE FEELS! I think the biggest reason as to why Harry Potter has become such a huge part of who I am, are the characters. Today I'm going to talk about why I love the characters I love.
Hermione Granger is my most favorite Gryffindor! I'm not just saying that because a lot of people love her. I'm saying that because throughout the series, Hermione taught me a number of things.
1. She taught me that girls shouldn't dumb themselves down for any reason and that it was okay to be a know-it-all. She knows everything from history to politics and is not afraid to let people know she's knowledgeable. She is literally the symbol of 'Knowledge is Power'.
"Honestly, don't you two read?"
2. She also taught us all to stand up for what we believe in. She keeps going strong with SPEW despite not having a strong following. She has opinions and she makes sure they are heard.
3. She taught us all to punch idiots in the face (or slap them according to the book). Her hitting Malfoy when he insults Hagrid is the BEST FRIGGING THING EVER! She taught us not to take bullshit from anyone; not even gorgeous Slytherins.
"Harry and Ron both made furious moves towards Malfoy, but Hermione got there first - SMACK!
She had slapped Malfoy across the face with all the strength she could muster. Malfoy staggered. Harry, Ron, Crabbe and Goyle stood flabbergasted as Hermione raised her hand again."
She also taught us not to take bullshit from friends and called out Harry and Ron when they were being stupid.
"Just because you have the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have."
"Just because it's taken you three years to notice Ron, doesn't mean no one else has spotted i'm a girl."
Ginny Weasley, is in my opinion, one of the underrated characters from Harry Potter. People need to gover her more credit!
1. She taught us that Bold is Beautiful. She is good at the things she does; Quidditch, hexing people...
"Yeah size is no guarantee of power" Look at Ginny."
"What d'you mean?" said Harry.
"You've never been on the recieving end of one of her Bat-Bogey hexes, have you?"
2. A great sense of humor and sarcasm is all you need at times.
"Three Dementor attacks in a week, and all Romilda Vane does is ask me if it’s true you’ve got a Hippogriff tattooed across your chest."Ron and Hermione both roared with laughter. Harry ignored them.
What did you tell her?"
I told her it's a Hungarian Horntail," said Ginny, turning a page of the newspaper idly. "Much more macho."
"Thanks," said Harry, grinning. "And what did you tell her Ron’s got?"
"A Pygmy Puff, but I didn’t say where.”
3. Don't let people judge you. When Ron is judgmental about her choice of dates, Ginny promptly shuts him up!
Luna Lovegood may have been eccentric but she's one of the most amazing people in the series. She was a wonderful friend and a truly amazing human being.
1. Luna taught me to celebrate who I was and not try to fit into the standards that society makes for us. She taught me it's okay to be weird as long as your heart is in the right place.
2. She taught me the importance of friendship.
“Luna had decorated her bedroom ceiling with five beautifully painted faces: Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Neville. They were not moving as the portraits at Hogwarts moved, but there was a certain magic about them all the same: Harry thought they breathed. What appeared to be fine golden chains wove around the pictures, linking them together, but after examining them for a minute or so, Harry realized that the chains were actually one word, repeated a thousand times in golden ink: friends . . . friends . . . friends . . .”
3. Luna taught me to believe even when others are scornful of your beliefs
“You can laugh! But people used to believe there were no such things as the Blibbering Humdinger or the Crumple-Horned Snorkack!”
4. She taught me not to worry too much about things.
“I think I'll just go down and have some pudding and wait for it all to turn up - it always does in the end.”
1. He taught me to stand up to people, enemies and friends alike.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends."
"I'll join you when hell freezes over,"said Neville. "Dumbledore's Army!" he shouted, and there was an answering cheer from the crowd, whom Voldermort's silencing charms seemed unable to hold."
2. Neville taught me that one shouldn't be put down by people's taunts. Draco teases and bullies him on many occasions but at the end, Neville raised above it all.
3. He taught me to never give up! When the DA was first established, Neville might not have been good with spells but he practiced and never gave up. He practiced well enough that he dueled with skilled death Eaters during the battle of Hogwarts!
Harry Potter, the boy who lived taught me many things too. He may have been the chosen one but he never had it easy.
1. Harry taught me that some things are worth dying for but nothing is worth losing your humanity.
2. Harry Potter taught me to be sassy.
"Listening to the News! Again?"
"Well, it changes everyday you see."
"There's no need to call me sir, Professor."
3. Harry taught me that bravery is doing the right thing even if it's not the easy thing to do. In the end, Harry could have simply walked away and stayed hidden from Voldemort but he chose to do the right thing.
4. Harry Potter taught me that you don't need to be blood to be family. His own Aunt Petunia was horrible to him while Mrs. Weasley took care of him like her own son.
5. Harry taught me to be a great friend. I personally love the friendship between Harry and Hermione that is shown when Ron goes off in Deathly Hallows. I think it was portrayed amazingly in the movie too!
Also Harry's love for Dobby is one of the most beautiful things ever.
OOOHHKKAY! So this brings us to the end of the post! while there are so many more lessons I learnt from characters and many more reasons why I love them but if I start talking about everything, this post will go on and on!! So that's for another post! ❤
Who are your favourite Harry Potter characters and why?